Friday, April 4, 2014

How Rich We Are

Having been raised in poverty and inherited a poverty mentality, I had many things to unlearn. During the years that my parents were excommunicated from their strict Amish denomination and until we moved north to Iowa where they belonged to a more liberal branch of Amish, we did a lot of ‘church-hopping.’

One of the groups that my folks attended pounded their Bibles to stress the imperative demands of giving. I remember one of the Scriptures that was often used was found in II Corinthians 9:6 “But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly, and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.”

I had a hard time wrapping my young mind around that. I felt that I had nothing to give. I looked at my tattered dress with the hem hanging down. I often had to be careful not to trip on the hem. It was not unusual for my feet to be forced into a ‘much-too-small-for-me’ shoe, or to wear one with the sole flapping and loose. I never owned a penny and felt that I honestly had nothing I could give.

How could I sow bountifully when I really owned nothing in this world’s goods? I felt that God was being unfair and that I would never get ahead of things.

I heard Joyce Meyer say that each one us has everything that matters to God. Our possessions begin with our faith. Romans 12:3 tells us that God has given to each of us a measure of faith. Faith in God’s redemptive work – through Christ – is what generates our redemption. Without faith it is impossible to please God.

When we have faith we will find that we are truly rich. We have something to give away. We can pray for those in need. We can speak a word of testimony.

Sowing bountifully or sparingly has to do with our attitude and not our possessions. To sow sparingly is to give with a stingy attitude. To sow bountifully is to give with a generous attitude.

Let’s give something away today! A smile! A hug! A word of encouragement! A note in the mail  or perhaps a phone call! We are so rich! We have so much to give! You will be blessed in your giving..

No comments: